Wednesday, May 2, 2007

How to deter a persistant woodpecker?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop a woodpecker from 'drumming' the metal chimney (and possibly the roof itself) of my house? I haven't climbed up on the roof yet to see if the bird is causing any damage so potentially it's just a loud annoyance (that I can live with, holes in the roof - no). The suggestion I've been given was to shoot it. Killing the bird would certainly take care of the immediate problem but my guess is that it would only be temporary, that is until the next woodpecker moves into the territory. I would prefer a more harmonious solution since I didn't move to nature to wipe nature out. I've read that you can put something on the roof that starts to move as soon as the bird lands to scare it away. Has anyone had any luck with this option? Anything that you can buy to shoo away woodpeckers? Besides running out in your bathrobe like a crazy nut, screaming at the bird but mostly scaring the neighbors.

No comments: